Visas and immigration

International students in Padua need to go through a number of procedures that will differ according to:

  • their nationality (European or non-European);
  • the length of their stay (more or less than 90 days);
  • their student status (international mobility or study programmes, or enrolment in a degree programme).

All students are subject to Italian law regulating residence permits for foreign nationals.

Students can contact the SAOS for free help with the procedure.

  Visa requirements

In order to apply for a study visa, you need first to register on the Universitaly portal and submit your online pre-enrolment application.

The pre-enrolment is the first compulsory step in order to obtain your study visa: the sooner, you finalise the procedure, the sooner you will be able to request your study visa and arrange your arrival in Padua.

According to the Italian Ministry of Education guidelines, when submitting a visa application at the Italian embassy or consulate you must meet the following conditions:

  1. Hold a valid passport, valid for at least three months after the end of your planned period of stay in Italy.
  2. Have adequate means of subsistence, both for the duration of the planned stay and for the return trip to your country of origin or transit to another country. For the a. y. 2022/23, these means are quantified as euro 467,65 per month, equal to euro 6.079,45 per year. The availability in Italy of such means of support must be proven through personal or parental economic guarantees, or provided by Italian Institutions or Authorities of proven liquidity, including Universities, local Government, foreign Institutions or Authorities deemed reliable by the Italian Embassy/Consulate. The availability of means of subsistence cannot be demonstrated through the exhibition of a bank guarantee, or of a guarantee insurance policy, and neither with cash or guarantees supplied by third parties. Please note: the mere application for an Italian Government scholarship or any other scholarships does not act as a document of adequate means of subsistence. Students who, have applied but not yet obtained an Italian Government or any other scholarships, intend to enrol, must provide a document proving the adequate means of subsistence as any other candidate.
  3. The availability of the necessary sum for repatriation, which can also be demonstrated by showing a return ticket.
  4. Meet other country-specific requirements. Always check with the Italian embassy/consulate in your country of residence for precise information! 

The following documents are usually required at the visa application appointment:

  1. Entry visa application form 
  2. 4 recent passport-size photographs
  3. Proof of admission. The University of Padova will supply provide you with a formal Admission Letter which proves your admission to a degree programme.
  4. Proof of a suitable accommodation in Italy
  5. Adequate Health Insurance cover for medical expenses and hospital stays. A medical insurance for a Schengen visa must meet the following criteria:
    - medical coverage of at least euro 30.000,00
    - coverage of emergency medical evacuation and repatriation of remains
    Furthermore, an acceptable medical insurance for Italian residence permit must give evidence of a national office based in Italy to be contacted in case of emergency. Should the insurance company not have such contact in Italy, you can use “Generali” insurance, i.e. the basic insurance accepted by the Embassies/Consulates and by the Immigration Office in Padova for visa and residence permit purposes (6 months = euro 49,00, 12 months = euro 98,00 ).
  6. Other documents, depending on the country: always check with the Italian embassy/consulate in your country of residence for precise information!  

Please note: it is your responsibility to start the process as soon as possible as since the visa may take up to three months or longer to be issued. Admission to the University is not a sufficient guarantee for the release of the VISA: such decision is exclusive competence of the Embassy / Consulate.

Special cases

If you have a double nationality, including one belonging to a European Union / EEA member state (e.g. Italian and Brazilian), you do NOT need a visa and/or residence permit to study in Italy.

If you are a permanent resident in another European Union member state and have a valid European Residence Permit, you should contact the Italian diplomatic authority in your European country of residence, to inquire if you need a visa to enter Italy and obtain an Italian residence permit

If you are a non-European citizen currently residing in Italy with a valid residence permit, you can find further information on how to renew your residence permit on our website.

  Tax code (codice fiscale)

The Italian tax code (codice fiscale) is an alphanumeric code which allows Italian authorities to identify any person. The tax code is essential if you need to sign a contract in Italy,  to open a bank account, and to access many public services (including health services).

The official tax code is NOT needed at application stage. The online application system will automatically generate a tax code for all non-Italian citizens. The official code is however needed to enrol at the University of Padova.

The tax code is issued by the Italian Revenue Agency (Agenzia delle Entrate). You can apply for a tax code following one of the procedures detailed below:

  • Apply directly at the Italian consular authorities in your country of residence (recommended). Visit the website of the Italian consulate/embassy in your country for further information


  • For students: if you are admitted to one of our degree programme the Admissions and Welcome Unit will apply for a tax identification code on your behalf and will send you the certificate via email.  
  • For staff: contact the University/Department office of reference providing a copy of your passport. The Office will request a tax code on your behalf and forward it to you once ready. Please note that it may take several weeks.