Before your arrival - Erasmus+ for Studies

  Step 1: Registration

All students need to register with our online platform and activate their account. Registration and account activation are compulsory steps and must be completed prior to the application. In order to complete the procedure successfully and comply with each section requirements, please follow the handbook step by step. The online registration procedure is available here.

  Step 2: Learning Agreement and language certificate

Learning Agreement: providing the LA signed by you and your home institution during the application stage is mandatory.

  • Paper/file LA: the LA doesn't have to be signed by the Erasmus Coordinator of the University of Padua: they will sign it once the application procedure is completed and you will get it back via email. Templates provided by the home institution are accepted; a common template is available below.
  • OLA - Online Learning Agreement: you will have to fill it online following your home university’s instructions and it will be digitally transmitted to us. You must upload in our application form on Uniweb a digital “receipt” (i.e. a screenshot, confirmation email, etc.) of your OLA approved by your Home University.

Before preparing your LA you must carefully read the guide How to choose courses at Unipd, where rules and restrictions on course units are described in detail..

Language certificate: providing this document before the start of your mobility is mandatory. It can be attached to the application form (recommended) or sent by e-mail to after the application deadline. Accepted documents: OLS test results,  official language certificates (i.e. TOEFL, IELTS, Cambridge University, etc.), Duolingo English test, attendance certificates of intensive courses, certificates issued by University officers/professors attesting your language proficiency level, transcript of records including language exams results.

Language requirements: B1 English level for students attending course units held in English; A2 Italian level for students attending course units held in Italian (ref.: CEFR - Common European Framework of Reference for Languages).

Useful information:

  Step 3: Health Insurance

Submitting a valid insurance card/policy/certificate before your arrival is mandatory. The insurance must be valid for the whole mobility period. If your valid insurance is going to expire soon and you need to fill out the Application form before having the new one, you are allowed to send the form without the insurance card, but you must renew it and send the new one to, as soon as you get it.

European students or students resident in the EU may submit the European Health Insurance Card (EHIC).

Extra-European students non-resident in the EU need a private insurance valid for the visa application. A medical insurance for a Schengen visa must meet the following criteria:
→ medical coverage of at least Euro 30.000
→ coverage of emergency medical evacuation and repatriation of remains
ATTENTION: in order to be acceptable, a medical insurance for Italian residence permit must provide evidence of a national office based in Italy to be contacted in case of emergency.

  Step 4: Application

Filling out the Application form is mandatory.

Students should read the instructions carefully, before starting the procedure

  Step 5: Accommodation

Due to the limited number of places available, accommodation in the students' halls of residence is guaranteed to extra-European students only (who have more urgency to find a place in order to apply for the study visa). These students will be invited by email to fill in an Accommodation form, in order to request a place.

European students will be able to apply for a place in the dorms only in a second call that will open after the first round of room allocations (to be completed in July), in August/September.

Further info on accommodation for incoming students.

  Step 6: Visa for non-EU students

Non-EU students resident outside EU must apply for a visa before arriving in Italy, by following the instructions provided by the Italian Ministry for Foreign Affairs. An electronic copy of the invitation letter will be sent by email to the address indicated by the student during the Registration process.
Invitation letters will only be sent after the reception and administrative check of all the required Application documents and anyway after the deadline of the Application form.

Non-EU students already resident in EU who have a valid European Residence Permit should contact the Italian diplomatic authority in their own European country of residence, to inquire if they need a visa to enter Italy and obtain an Italian residence permit. Should an invitation letter be needed, this has to be requested to the Mobility Unit of the Projects & Mobility Office  ( an electronic copy thereof will be sent by email to the address indicated by the student during the Registration process. Invitation letters will only be sent after the reception of all the required Application documents and anyway after the deadline of the Application form.

The Mobility Unit will not send any original invitation letter by post: the Italian Embassy/Consulate will receive it directly from UNIPD via legal e-mail. The transmission of digital documents via legal e-mail ("PEC - Posta Elettronica Certificata") between Italian public administrations is legally equivalent to the transmission of original documents, and it complies with the digitalisation process undertaken by the Italian public administration in the past years. 

In order to apply for a Schengen Visa, a health insurance is required. The criteria to be met by the insurance are described under Step 3.


  Step 7: The Buddy service

The Tutoring Office in cooperation with the International Relations Division provides a Buddy Service set up to support students under any exchange programme. All Buddies are students of the University of Padua. The task of a Buddy is to welcome exchange students and be a friendly local contact throughout their stay .

Extra-European students do not need to request a Buddy, they will be assigned one automatically.

For EU students, the Buddy Service is offered only upon request, by filling out the Request form (click on Erasmus+ Students > Request a Buddy!) 

Contact for further information:


  Step 8: Italian language courses

Students can attend the Italian language courses offered by our language centre, CLA – Centro linguistico di Ateneo.
The registration period opens around 2 weeks before language courses start. Further information are provided by filling in the CLA contact form available online

Relevant procedures - Erasmus IN

Erasmus+ for studies (homepage)
Before your arrival
On your arrival
During your stay
At the end of your stay
UniverCity life

Versione italiana