Before your arrival - Bilateral Agreements

  Step 1: Learning Agreement and language certificate

Learning Agreement: providing the LA signed by you and your home institution during the application stage is mandatory. If the LA hasn’t been signed by your university yet at the time of completing the online Application form, you must upload it with at least the Table A filled out with the list of course units you plan to attend in Padua(or the type of activity you plan to carry out, i.e. “research”, “traineeship” and a short description). If the LA is signed after you have completed the online Application form, you can send it by e-mail to The Learning Agreement template is available below.

Language certificate: providing this document before the start of your mobility is mandatory; however certificates can be sent by e-mail to after you have filled out the online Application form. The following documents are accepted: official language certificates (i.e. TOEFL, IELTS, Cambridge University, etc.), Duolingo English test, attendance certificates of intensive courses, certificates issued by University officers/professors attesting your language proficiency level, transcript of records including language exams results.

Language requirements: B1 English level for students attending course units held in English; A2 Italian level for students attending course units held in Italian  (ref.: CEFR - Common European Framework of Reference for Languages).

Useful information:

  Step 2: Health Insurance

Extra-European students non-resident in the EU need a private insurance valid for the visa application, thus submitting a valid insurance card/policy/certificate through the application form is recommended. If you don’t have an insurance at the time of completing your application form, you can send it later by email to

A medical insurance for a Schengen visa must meet the following criteria:

  1. medical coverage of at least Euro 30.000
  2. coverage of emergency medical evacuation and repatriation of remains

The medical insurance for the Italian residence permit must meet the following criteria:

  • be valid for the whole mobility period (even if - for visa purposes - some Embassies/Consulates accept insurances covering only a short period)
  • provide evidence of a national office based in Italy to be contacted in case of emergency.

  Step 3: Application

Filling out the Application form is mandatory.

-  15 June for the first semester and the full academic year
-  15 November for the second semester

Read carefully the instructions below and then fill out the form here

(Click on "International Students" on the top horizontal menu and then on "Application form (Bilateral Agr. & Double Degrees").

Mandatory documents to be uploaded through the online application:

  • Identity card OR passport
  • Passport size picture
  • Learning Agreement
  • The most recent transcript of records
  • Insurance card/policy/certificate
  • language certificate (not mandatory at this stage, only recommended. After the application deadline, certificates can also be sent by email to

All the above mentioned documents must be submitted before the beginning of the mobility period.

Double citizenship: if you have a second citizenship that allows you to enter Italy without a visa and to stay here without a residence permit (i.e.: an European citizenship), you should fill out all our forms using your extra-European personal data (surname, name, document data), mentioning also your second citizenship where requested and upload both the European and the extra-European passport.

Upon completion of “Step 3: Application procedure”, students should proceed to “Step 4: Accommodation”.

  Step 4: Accommodation

Halls of residence

Accommodation in the students’ halls of residence is  guaranteed for students coming from extra-European Universities. These students will have to fill in an Accommodation form, in order to request a place.
Further info on accommodation for incoming students


  Step 5: Non-EU students

Non-EU students resident outside the EU must apply for a visa before arriving in Italy, by following the instructions provided by the Italian Ministry for Foreign Affairs. An electronic copy of the invitation letter will be sent by email to the address indicated by the student during the Registration process. Invitation letters will be sent after the reception of all the required Application documents.

The Projects and Mobility Office - Mobility Unit will not send any original invitation letter by post: the Italian Embassy/Consulate will receive it directly from UniPD via legal e-mail. The transmission of digital documents via legal e-mail ("PEC - Posta Elettronica Certificata") between Italian public administrations is legally equivalent to the transmission of original documents, and it complies with the digitalisation process undertaken by the Italian public administration in the past years.

In order to apply for a Schengen Visa, a health insurance is required. The criteria to be met by the insurance are described under the step "Health Insurance" (see above).

  Step 6: The Buddy service

The Tutoring Office in cooperation with the International Relations Division provides a Buddy Service set up to support students under any exchange programme. All Buddies are students of the University of Padua. The task of a Buddy is to welcome exchange students and be a friendly local contact throughout their stay.

You will  not need to request a Buddy, you will be assigned one automatically.

Relevant procedures - Bilateral Agreements students

Bilateral Agreements (homepage)
Before your arrival
On your arrival
During your stay
At the end of your stay