Services

Edifici novecenteschi

In the twentieth century, the University of Padua underwent a profound period of architectural renewal that had a decisive impact on the city. During Anti’s rectorship (1932-1943), major projects were carried out, supported by new funding, leading to the renovation of Palazzo del Bo and the construction of the Liviano, the Institute of Physics, the Asiago Observatory and the Chioggia Hydrobiological Station. In the 1950s, the large university hospital complex took shape, consolidating the University’s expansion beyond the historic centre.

From the second half of the century, university building development continued to evolve through internal commissions, initially through direct appointments and, more recently, through competitions also involving international architectural practices. This progressive opening marked a new relationship between the university and the city, focused on urban regeneration and transformation.

The Palazzo Liviano

The premises of what was then the Faculty of Arts in piazza Capitaniato, together with its furnishings, are the work of the Milanese architect Gio Ponti, who in 1934 won the competition for its construction. Of particular note, in the entrance hall, are the fresco by Massimo Campigli and the statue of Titus Livy by the sculptor Arturo Martini.
 

Learn more

Palazzo Anselmi Casale
Lungargine del Piovego – Padua
Structured around two courtyards, the complex was built in successive phases between 1911 and 1919, based on the original design by the engineer Daniele Donghi. In the following decades it underwent numerous and significant additions and redistributions of space, which largely erased its original features. The building preserves the mural paintings created at different times by the Paduan artist and decorator Giovanni Vianello.

Former Gruppo Rionale Bonservizi
Via Giordano Bruno 27 – Padua
The architectural complex was built in 1938 as the headquarters of the local Fascist group. Shortly afterwards it became a base for the RSI Black Brigades and later the seat of the British command. It was converted to civilian use and used by the University of Padua first as a student residence, then as the headquarters of the Centro Universitario Sportivo, the body that still manages its spaces today.

Casa della Gioventù Universitaria (Bressanone)
In 1953 the Casa della gioventù a Bressanone was inaugurated, in the town where summer refresher courses of the University of Padua had already been held for two years. The project was by the engineer and architect Giulio Brunetta, designer of numerous other University buildings.

osservatorio asiago
The Astrophysical Observatory on the Asiago Plateau

Inaugurated on 27 May 1942,  based on a design by Daniele Calabi. The complex includes an observation tower and a building intended for the astronomers’ residences and offices. The telescope and the rotating dome were designed by Officine Galileo of Firenze. After being used for many years for scientific research, the telescope is now employed mainly for teaching purposes.

Learn more

Hydrobiological Station in Chioggia 
It was established in 1940, in the north-eastern quadrant of the island of San Domenico, and two years later it was granted to the University of Padua for free and perpetual use. Since then, pioneering studies have been carried out there on the ecosystems of the Venice lagoon and the Upper Adriatic, on the protection and management of fish fauna, and on the farming of new fish species. Of the two buildings that make up the Hydrobiological Station, the larger one (approximately 450 m²) has always been used for research activities, while the second (approximately 250 m²), formerly intended as the caretaker’s residence, is now a functional guesthouse able to accommodate up to ten people.

campus agripolis
The Agripolis campus in Legnaro

Teaching, research and experimentation in the agricultural, veterinary and forestry sectors of the University of Padua are now centred in the Agripolis campus, established in the 1990s in Legnaro, in the province of Padua.

Learn more

SCIENTIFIC AREA INSTITUTES

Engineering Complex
Lungargine Piovego - Padua
Structured around two courtyards, the complex was built in successive phases between 1911 and 1933, starting from the original design by the engineer Daniele Donghi. In the following decades it underwent numerous significant additions and reorganisations of its layout, which largely erased its original features. The building preserves the wall paintings created at different times by the Paduan artist and decorator Giovanni Vianello.

Physics Building
Via Francesco Marzolo, 8 – Padua
Inaugurated in 1937 by the “father” of cosmic-ray physics Bruno Rossi, the institute displays typical features of Rationalist architecture, with clean, essential forms, maximum functional organisation of spaces, and the use of modern materials, such as reinforced concrete with air cavities for the floors, linoleum for the laboratory and classroom floors, compressed asphalt for the workshop flooring, and lightweight materials for the floor slab in the laboratory for research on cosmic radiation located in the tower section, with walls completely shielded by metal mesh. Also innovative for the time were some of the solutions adopted for the systems and equipment of classrooms and laboratories, now partly dispersed, expressly designed and created to facilitate research.

Chemistry Institutes
Via Francesco Marzolo, 1 – Padua
The complex is the result of a series of transformations carried out between the 1950s and the 1980s on the early twentieth-century building designed by the engineer Tomasatti, leading to the annexation of new institutes belonging to the same discipline. The historic section, which remains recognisable for its own independent architectural style of eclectic taste, with some decorative façade details alluding to Neo-Renaissance style, consists of a two-storey building above ground with an E-shaped plan, with an adjoining stepped wooden lecture hall.

Institute of General Chemistry
The building in via Loredan in Padua, now called the ‘Quadrilatero’, came into being thanks to the commitment of Raffaello Nasini (director from 1891 to 1906) and Giuseppe Bruni (1906 – 1917). It was completed in 1913 and fitted out the following year, but because of the war it was only used from 1919. The building, with later adaptations turning it into today’s ‘Quadrilatero’, also houses the Institutes of Physical Chemistry, Organic Chemistry and Analytical Chemistry. Since the 1970s it has been accompanied by the new building at Via Marzolo 1.

Institute of Pharmacology
Largo Meneghetti, 2 – Padua
Built to a design by the engineer Tomasatti in the early twentieth century, the building has a distinctive L-shape, determined by the triangular configuration of the plot. During the First World War it served as accommodation for officer cadets and only returned to the University’s use in 1919: it was then dedicated to Francesco Buonafede, the first holder of the chair of Materia Medica. Under the direction of Egidio Meneghetti, in 1932, the building underwent an extension that altered its original form; a second extension was completed in the 1950s, echoing the eclectic style of the main building, from which it is almost indistinguishable.

Institute of Physiology and Organic Chemistry
Via Marzolo 3 – Padua
The historic home of the Institute of Human Physiology and the Institute of Biological Chemistry of the University of Padua was built in several phases between the 1930s and the 1950s. The institute stands in the area known as the university citadel or university area of S. Sofia already envisaged in 1872 by Padua’s first master plan. In all probability, the building was designed by Daniele Donghi during the first building consortium; this initial project subsequently underwent a series of modifications and was carried out in a first phase between 1928 and 1932, before being completed in 1934.

Institute of Hygiene
Via Loredan, 18 – Padua
The complex substantially preserves the original layout of the historic building, designed by the engineer Tomasatti in the early twentieth century, with an E-shaped plan. Distinctive elements of the taste of the period are the decorative features in Art Deco style, which particularly characterise the main façade, from which, however, the original pediment has been removed. Towards the end of the 1970s the central section was raised, the wing was extended beyond the main stairwell on the ground and basement floors, and a smaller extension of the building volume was carried out on the west side for the full height of the building.

Institute of General Chemistry
The building in via Loredan in Padua, now called the ‘Quadrilatero’, came into being thanks to the commitment of Raffaello Nasini (director from 1891 to 1906) and Giuseppe Bruni (1906 – 1917). It was completed in 1913 and fitted out the following year, but because of the war it was only used from 1919. The building, with later adaptations turning it into today’s ‘Quadrilatero’, also houses the Institutes of Physical Chemistry, Organic Chemistry and Analytical Chemistry. Since the 1970s it has been accompanied by the new building at Via Marzolo 1.

Pharmaceutical Sciences Building
Via Marzolo - Padua
The construction of the premises for the Faculty of Pharmacy was decided in 1933, during Anti’s rectorship, within the framework of the so-called fourth “Consortium for the Building Development of the University of Padua” and to a design by the Milanese architect Giuseppe Merlo. Construction work began in April 1935 and was completed a year later, followed by another year for the installation of furnishings and equipment.

MEDICAL AREA INSTITUTES

Anatomical Institutes
Via Gabelli, 63/65/67 – 35121 Padua
Built in 1922 to a design by the architect from Arezzo Guido Fondelli in an area adjacent to the Ospedale Giustinianeo, the Anatomical Institutes, originally intended to house the Institutes of normal human anatomy, forensic medicine and pathological anatomy, have a horizontal E-shaped layout. Of particular interest are the Aula Falloppio, a splendid anatomical theatre with a wooden structure, the nearby Aula Acquapendente, a dissection room, and the studio Morgagni, a genuine little gem with decorative features and historic furnishings. The Institutes house the Museo di Anatomia umana G.B. Morgagni and, since 2022, an original murale di Milo Manara.

Museo morgagni

The Museo Anatomia umana G.B. Morgagni houses exhibits illustrating the living conditions and the diseases that affected human beings in the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries, together with the progress made in the prevention and treatment of illness.
Dedicated to Giovanni Battista Morgagni (1682-1771), founder of pathological anatomy and the anatomo-clinical method, it features an innovative display system that ensures safety and showcases the exhibits with maximum transparency and brightness.
The Museum is open to the public by appointment and on the occasion of special events.

 

Paediatric Clinic
Designed by the architect Daniele Calabi, the Paediatric Clinic was inaugurated in 1956. The building features a rigorous plan layout, organised around a central node from which two blocks extend, and a meticulous choice of materials that externally reflects the functional division between the two units. In the entrance hall of the Clinic, the mosaic created by Gino Severini is preserved.

Orthopaedic Clinic
The completion of the Orthopaedic Clinic on via San Massimo dates back to the two-year period 1967–68, as part of the architectural interventions carried out under Rector Ferro within the building consortium led by the engineer-architect Giulio Brunetta.

Semeiotic Clinic (Formerly the Pharmaceutical Clinic)
Located on via Ospedale in Padua, Medical Semeiotics was designed by the architect Daniele Calabi as the first premises of the Neurosurgical Clinic; its construction began in 1938. Compared with Calabi’s design (he was absent during construction because he was affected by the racial laws), the façade on via Falloppio was modified, while the façade overlooking the garden retains the designer’s original idea, featuring a double order of round arches.

Polyclinic
The Polyclinic was built between 1952 and 1954 in order to bring together the various clinics in a single building, as they had not found space in the area opposite. The project was  developed by Daniele Calabi and by Giulio Brunetta, but was then completed only by the latter. In the entrance hall there is a series of interesting murals created by Gino Morandis, a Spatialist artist.