Impacting Cultural Heritage

Coats of arms at Palazzo del Bo, Padua

 

THE REGIONAL ROTARY CLUB OF PADUA

The Regional Rotary Club of Padua includes the city of Padua, Padova Euganea, Padova Est, Padova Nord, Padova Contarini, Albano Montegrotto, Camposampiero, Cittadella, Cittadella Alta Padovana, and Este. Donations on behalf of the Regional Rotary Club of Padua to the University of Padua safeguards the Ancient Archive Library of Palazzo Bo.

RENATA MAZZA

Renata Mazza Bolasco donated the historic gardens and Villa of Parco Bolasco to the University of Padua in 1967.

  Read more

parco bolasco

Donated to the University of Padua, Villa Bolasco Piccinelli (once Villa Revedin, and then Villa Rinaldi) was built by Count Francesco Revedin between 1852 and 1865.  Hailed as “the Paradise” the area once included two palaces and an Italian garden that was torn down in 1803 by Count Nicolò Corner Giustinian. The design of the current Villa was entrusted to the famous Venetian architect Giambattista Meduna, known for his reconstruction and restoration works in Venice (the Teatro La Fenice, Saint Mark’s Basilica, Ca 'd'Oro palace).

The Villa includes a luminous staircase by Meduna, an elaborately decorated ballroom with frescos by Giacomo Casa da Conegliano, and lavish stables dedicated to Count Revedin's equestrian passion that incorporates sophisticated architectural design and innovative cast iron materials.

The villa embodies a large English garden, declared as the "Most beautiful park in Italy" in 2018. In addition to Meduna, other famous architects contributed to its design including Francesco Bagnara, Marc Guignon (the cavallerizza), and Antonio Caregaro Negrin, who between 1869 and 1878 designed the Moorish-style greenhouse, the cavana for sheltering boats, and much more.

The park is outstretched by alternating meadows, ponds, hills, and trees completed by an ornate horseback riding arena encircled by 52 statues (44 of which are by the sculptor Orazio Marinali and originally featured in “The Paradise”) as well as two elevated equestrian statues.  Guarded by a dovecote tower at the west entrance and turret near the surrounding wall to the east, the park also displays an array of exquisitely painted fresco remaining from its time as “The Paradise”.  

Renata Mazza's legacy to the University of Padua is an example of a love that art and nature will never forget.