FAQ – COVID-19 effects on student mobility - outgoing

Considering how the COVID-19 emergency has affected the activities of our offices, we kindly ask you to contact us only if you cannot find an answer to your questions among the ones listed below. Thank you for your cooperation!

  I was supposed to start my mobility period abroad in the next few weeks: can I leave?

No, you cannot. No mobility is allowed, neither for incoming nor for outcoming students, until the measures taken by the Government are in force.

  I am currently abroad: is return compulsory?

No, it is not. Neither the Italian Government nor the University of Padua force you to return to Italy.  Remember to follow the basic health and social guidelines and to always comply with the government’s recommendations of the country where you are. You are also well advised to register on the Italian Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation’s website.

  I am currently abroad but I wish to return to Italy. Is it possible?

If you do not feel safe where you are, you can interrupt your mobility due to a case of force majeure and return to Italy.

Please remember to check the recommendations on travel restrictions by the Italian Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation and contact the Italian diplomatic authorities - Embassies and Consulates.

In addition, fill in the form to notify the University of Padua that you are currently abroad.

We also advise you to check the Alitalia’s and other airlines’ website, since special flights are being scheduled in these days.

As per new provisions, only one person is allowed to pick you up at the airport. Please also remember to:

  • have the appropriate form
  • report your arrival in Italy to the Prevention Department of your local health authority
  • spend 14 days in quarantine.

  Will I be allowed to travel back abroad when the emergency is over?

It may be possible, from the bureaucratic point of view. Nevertheless, you are well advise to act as if the interruption were definitive. Therefore, we highly recommend you bring your personal effects with you and you end any lease contract. Since the epidemic is spreading, almost all EU-countries have taken measures to facilitate ending lease contracts.

  The host university delivers course units on a distance-learning basis; does the University of Padua recognise this type of activity?

Yes, it does. The University of Padua ensures that all the course units specified in the Learning Agreement and in the Transcript of Records will be recognized, whether they are delivered on-line or face-to-face.

  Can I attend online courses of the host university from Italy?

Yes, you can. The University of Padua ensures that all the ECTS credits, inserted in the Learning Agreement and validated by the host university in the Transcript of Records, will be recognised, even though you attended the courses from Italy. Given the circumstances, teaching activities do not entail physical mobility.

  Am I allowed to attend courses delivered by both the University of Padua and the host University?

Yes, provided that the course units do not cover the same topics. Given the exceptional nature of the ongoing situation, the University of Padua’s aim is to minimise academic-related inconvenience.

  How can I get the ‘force majeure’ clause applied?

You will be emailed specific information about it. Meanwhile, make sure you keep evidence of any additional expenses of which you have not received a reimbursement yet (neither fully nor partially).

  Can I get the ‘force majeure’ clause applied to mobility periods that have never started?

Yes, you can, whether it was your call or the host university’s not to start the mobility.

  What does the ‘force majeure’ clause entail?

Erasmus+ Programme

When the force majeure clause is applied, the physical mobility is recognised for its actual duration, even if less than 90 days have elapsed and you have obtained less than 9 ECTS credits. You can apply for reimbursement of exceptional expenses to the European Commission if there is no other way for reimbursement, e.g. non-reimbursed flight tickets or deposits, monthly rents or season tickets for transport that have not been used. No specific information on reimbursement ceiling has been provided yet. You will be given accurate information about it in the following weeks. 

Bilateral agreements double degree programmes with a UniPD scholarship

When the force majeure clause is applied, the physical mobility is recognised for its actual duration. You can apply for a partial reimbursement of exceptional expenses to the University of Padua, International Relations Division, if there is no other way for reimbursement, e.g. flights for destinations other than Italy (for international students living abroad), non-reimbursed flight tickets or deposits, monthly rents or season tickets for transport that have not been used. No specific information on reimbursement ceiling has been provided yet, but you will be notified as soon as more accurate information is available.

  Should I submit the original version of documents even under these circumstances?

You do not have to submit the originals: PDF and scanned versions are also accepted for now. It will be our office’s responsibility to collect the originals later on, if necessary.

  The International Office of the host university is closed: what should I do with the Attendance Certificate?

No worries. You can email the office and ask for the second part of the Attendance Certificate to be signed, with reference to the ‘date of departure’. PDF formats and partner universities forms are accepted.

  Are there any deadlines for changing the Learning Agreement?

No, there are not. Even the 30-day-deadline is not effective anymore. Please remember that updating the Learning Agreement is essential and protects your university career. The latest version of the Learning Agreement must be approved by the coordinators from both the University of Padua and the host university.

  What should I do if I am on a mobility for thesis purposes?

Make sure that both the supervisors can help you remotely.  You can get only part of your thesis ECTS credits recognised; you will gain the rest of your ECTS credits on your final examination, when you graduate.

  I am a SEMP student: do these rules apply to me too?

As for financial issues, SEMP students should refer to the Swiss university, signatory of the contract. As for teaching issues, you can follow the instructions on this page.

  I am an exchange student under bilateral agreement: what rules apply to me?

Your exchange period is covered by the University of Padua’s funding, for which only internal constraints exist. Therefore, the rules applied to you are the same.

  I am a student of a double degree programme. If I interrupt the mobility earlier than expected, will I get the final qualification of the partner university?

To complete the programme, the exchange coordinators of both the host university and the University of Padua must agree on the study programme and the teaching methods. The decision on whether to award you the final qualification rests with the host university and depends on fulfilment of the minimum requirements specified in the double degree agreement (number of ECTS credits, thesis, etc.). Therefore, you are well advised to check with the academic and administrative coordinators whether and how you can continue with the double degree programme. We can help you arrange Zoom meetings with the academic coordinators of both the University of Padua and the partner university, if needed.

  I cannot find the answer to my questions among the FAQs. Who should I contact?

If you have questions concerning the Learning Agreement and activity recognition, contact the Mobility Unit desks at Schools/Departments.

If you have questions on mobility grant (documents, ‘force majeure’ clause, interruption, grant, etc.) send an email to erasmus@unipd.it (Erasmus and SEMP students) or to international.projects@unipd.it (bilateral agreements and double degree programmes).