Museums and collections
UNIVERSITY MUSEUMS CENTRE
The Centre (CAM, Centro di Ateneo per i Musei) coordinates and promotes the activities of the University’s museums.
via Orto Botanico, 15 - 35123 Padova
tel. +39 049 8272135 - fax. +39 049 8272125
This museum is housed in Palazzo Liviano, thanks to an idea by Gio Ponti. It has 14 rooms, and includes three sections devoted to collections from antiquity, to materials culture and plaster casts.
piazza Capitaniato, 7 - 35139 Padova
tel. +39 049 8274611 /4576 - fax +39 049 8274613
This museum is home to Galileo’s telescope, which is still used for research, teaching and raising awareness of science. The collection also contains 22 other instruments.
Astrophysical Observatory of Asiago
via Osservatorio 8 - 36012 Asiago (VI)
tel. +39 0424 600011 - fax +39 0424 600023
This collection of materials from nurseries, schools and universities, including books, textbooks, photographs, toys and furnishings, gave rise to the Museum of Schooling in 1987, today the Museum of Education.
Founded in 1734, the Museum houses many natural discoveries, collections of fossils, and various types of geological materials. Its library contains a number of 18thcentury manuscripts.
Important instruments highlighting early breakthroughs in research and measurement techniques, such as 16th-century astrolabes, X-ray detecting machines, and an 1860 Morse telegraph, are displayed together with documents sheding
light on the study of physics and its evolution.
Opened in 1927 in memory of Enrico Bernardi, this museum is home to relics and instruments tracing the evolution of engineering science over the centuries. Exhibits include a three-wheeled car with a petrol engine built in 1894.
via Venezia, 1 - 35131 Padova
tel. +39 049 8276700-6786 - fax +39 049 8276785
The specimens on display here are divided into three sections: systematic minerals, genetic minerals, and deposits. The Gasser collection (1935) alone contains some 3,000 minerals from the South Tyrol and Trentino.
Historical collections restored and rearranged over the last few years are now open to the public. The restored skeleton of an Indian elephant purchased by Prof. Renier in 1819 is also on display.