Non-EU applicants resident outside Italy

Non-EU citizens residing outside Italy must validate their qualification and pre-enroll at the Italian Embassy in their country. The list of Italian consulates and embassies is available at

For the academic year 2017/18 the procedure is available between March 20 and July 25, 2017.

Applicants must fill in and deliver a pre-registration form (Form A). Only one degree course and one University may be chosen.
Chosen courses must have a contingente riservato (a number of reserved places for non-EU students residing outside Italy): check
If applicants are still attending their last year of school, pre-registration is accepted conditionally.

The Italian embassy or consulate will transmit the list of applicants to the University of Padova by e-mail, return all required documentation to each applicant, and provide information about admission tests.
Only Italian embassies or consulates can grant applicants student entry visas for Italy, and applicants must provide the Italian embassy or consulate with all required documentation.
N.B.: Tourist visas are not acceptable by the University of Padova.


Further information concerning Residence Permits

At police headquarters (Questura)

Within one week of their arrival in Italy, applicants must apply for a residence permit (the "kit" is available at any Italian Post Office) and take it to the local Questura in person. They will later be asked to collect their permit at the Questura of the province of residence.
For further information, see (Padova police headquarters)

At the University of Padova

On their arrival in Italy, applicants must immediately present themselves at the Enrolment Office to collect the required documentation for admission tests and to obtain information about further procedures. Applicants must deliver their pre-registration forms (Form A), the attached documents received from the Italian embassy or consulate in their country of origin, a photocopy of their passport and the residence permit application form.
Applicants must pass both the spoken Italian language test (see below) and the admission test to the chosen course (as part of the contingente riservato, unless they got a high school diploma from an Italian school abroad or from a school mentioned in the allegato 2, available at
After passing all admission tests, if all requirements have been satisfied, applicants will be enrolled.
Eligible applicants who exceed the contingente riservato can request  (only once) to be re-assigned to another course at the same University or at another University, according to the required admission tests.
Official admission regulations for foreign students residing outside Italy (2011-2014): check Ministry of Education, University and Research website (

A non-EU student at an Italian University who has withdrawn and wishes to enrol at the same or another Italian university, cannot use the student visa granted for the previous enrolment, because the conditions required for residence permits no longer apply. A new enrolment requires a new application form, obtainable from the Italian embassy or consulate.

Required documentation

  • first and single cycle degrees: qualification diploma, translated and legalised, and Statement of Validity (dichiarazione di valore), released by the Italian embassy or consulate in which the diploma is awarded. The Statement of Validity must state that 12 years of schooling have been completed; if the applicant has been awarded a final diploma after a shorter program of study (less than 12 years), any other certificates related to academic studies partially completed must be submitted (e.g. after a 11 years program of study, a certificate about all the first year passed exams is needed; after a 10 years program of study, a certificate about all the first and second year passed exams is needed). As an alternative, in order to complete the compulsory 12 years of schooling required for admission to Italian Universities, applicants can submit a post-secondary qualification obtained in a non-university higher education institute.
    Academic eligibility assessment: if in the Country of the applicant a test of academic eligibility is set for the admission to the University, the student must provide also a certificate which states he/she passed that test.
  • second cycle degrees: academic qualification, translated and legalised, and Statement of Validity (dichiarazione di valore). The applicant may present also a post-secondary qualification awarded in a non-university higher education institute, provided that the global secondary school attendance lasted at least 12 years. Any applicant’s qualification must be evaluated by a special commission, which will state its eligibility for the admission to a 2nd cycle degree course (not all the qualifications granting the access). The original final diploma of secondary studies and its translation, authentication and Statement of Validity are recommended. For information about the Statement of Validity, please contact the diplomatic representatives. Moreover, the applicant must submit a certification, released by the competent academic authority, stating which exams were passed (lesson hours, grades etc.)and describing their programmes. The certification must be legalised and - if necessary - translated; English language is acceptable. The programmes of the exams can be submitted in English, French, Spanish, German.

Qualifications will be verified before applicants can gain admission or take entrance tests.

How to apply for the Marco Polo Project (Chinese applicants)

How to ask for the validation of previous studies or educational activities: Credit Pre-Evaluation


Enrolment Office

  Italian language test

Non-EU citizens residing abroad must take a spoken Italian language test. The test is not compulsory for EU citizens, EU-Equated citizens and Non-EU citizens with a valid residence permit or for those who got a high school diploma from an Italian school abroad or from a school mentioned in the allegato 2 (

If applicants have a certificate of Italian knowledge(at least CELI level B2) they can ask to be exempted from the test at the Foreign Qualification Office (via Venezia 13). Applicants to degree courses completely held in English are exempted too.

The test is a conversation in Italian about a subject connected with the chosen degree course, stated every year by the academic structure in charge. Failing the test will prevent students from being admitted to any degree course in any Italian university.

The Italian language test for the academic year 2017/2018 is on September 1, 2017.