Applicants from EU and EU-equated countries

EU citizens who wish to apply for an Italian degree course must observe the same deadlines and procedures as Italian citizens. Citizens from Switzerland, Norway, Iceland, Repubblica di San Marino and Liechtenstein are treated as EU citizens; the same regulations apply to non-EU citizens who have residence permits (permessi di soggiorno) or residence cards (carte di soggiorno) for purposes of work, family, religion or political asylum. Starting from 1st July 2013, Croatian citizens too can follow the same deadlines and procedures as EU citizens.
Applicants can apply for only one degree course, although they may pre-enrol in several courses and take multiple admission tests. EU and EU-equated citizens are not required to take the Italian language test. The regulations covering the contingente riservato do not apply to them. In order to be valid, pre-registration for tests and on-line enrolment must be completed by submitting the following documentation to the Enrolment Office:

  • first and single cycle degrees: qualification diploma, translated and legalised, and Statement of Validity (Dichiarazione di valore), released by the Italian embassy or consulate in which the diploma is awarded. The Statement of Validity must state that 12 years of schooling have been completed; if the applicant has been awarded a final diploma after a shorter program of study (less than 12 years), any other certificates related to academic studies partially completed must be submitted (e.g. after a 11 years program of study, a certificate about all the first year passed exams is needed; after a 10 years program of study, a certificate about all the first and second year passed exams is needed). As an alternative, in order to complete the compulsory 12 years of schooling required for admission to Italian Universities, applicants can submit a post-secondary qualification obtained in a non-university higher education institute.
    Academic eligibility assessment: if in the Country of the applicant a test of academic eligibility is set for the admission to the University, the student must provide also a certificate which states he/she passed that test.
  • second cycle degrees: academic qualification, translated and legalised, and Statement of Validity (dichiarazione di valore). The applicant may present also a post-secondary qualification awarded in a non-university higher education institute, provided that the global secondary school attendance lasted at least 12 years. Any applicant’s qualification must be evaluated by a special commission, which will state its eligibility for the admission to a 2nd cycle degree course (not all the qualifications granting the access). The original final diploma of secondary studies and its translation, authentication and Statement of Validity are recommended. For information about the Statement of Validity, please contact the diplomatic representatives. Moreover, the applicant must submit a certification, released by the competent academic authority, stating which exams were passed (lesson hours, grades etc.)and describing their programmes. The certification must be legalised and - if necessary - translated; English language is acceptable. The programmes of the exams can be submitted in English, French, Spanish, German.

Non-EU citizens must also attach a photocopy of the residence card/permit. if they are just arrived in Italy, the documents will be transmitted by the Italian embassy or consulate of their Country, which will release the entry visa. Once awarded the residence permit, students must provide a copy to the Students Secretariat.

Qualifications will be verified before applicants can gain admission or take entrance tests.

For on-line enrolment, all applicants must have an Italian codice fiscale (tax identification number): see below for further information.

How to ask for the validation of previous studies or educational activities: Credit Pre-Evaluation Form

Enrolment Office

  How to apply

Pre-enrolment (preimmatricolazione) is a compulsory procedure which allows applicants to be registered as prospective students and to take the admission test.

How to pre-enrol:

  1. Apply on line:
  2. Pay a non-refundable application fee

Enrolment (immatricolazione) is a procedure that makes the application to be effective, after the pre-enrolment is successfully submitted and after you have passed the admission test. Sometimes a prior assessment of the applicant's curriculum is also needed before the enrolment.
If enrolment is successfully completed, student is given his/her student number (matricola), a email and a "libretto universitario", an unofficial academic transcript that will be updated with dates and marks of the exams.

How to enrol:

  1. Apply on line:
  2. Provide the Enrolment Office (Ufficio Immatricolazioni) with all the required documents and the receipt of the first instalment of the tuition fees

N.B. On line applications and documents are to be written in Italian.

  Tax identification number

The Italian tax code (codice fiscale) is an alphanumeric code which allows Italian authorities to identify any person.

During enrolment and pre-enrolment procedures, applicants must show their codice fiscale. If they are provided of a temporary code, they must present the permanent one to the Student Office as soon as possible.

How to obtain the codice fiscale
Foreign students or staff who need to obtain the codice fiscale are required to contact the relevant administrative structures (e.g. Department, Centre, etc.), which are in charge of filling in the online form required under the Protocol in force between the university of Padova and the Income Revenue Authority - Padova Provincial Department.

The International Relations Office of the University of Padova, as Single Entry Point for data collection, is responsible for submitting the forms received to the Income Revenue Authority and follow the procedure thereafter, until the fiscal codes are transmitted to the relevant administrative structures.

  Italian language test

Non-EU citizens residing abroad must take a spoken Italian language test. The test is not compulsory for EU citizens, EU-Equated citizens and Non-EU citizens with a valid residence permit or for those who got a high school diploma from an Italian school abroad or from a school mentioned in the allegato 2 (

If applicants have a certificate of Italian knowledge(at least CELI level B2) they can ask to be exempted from the test at the Foreign Qualification Office (via Venezia 13). Applicants to degree courses completely held in English are exempted too.

The test is a conversation in Italian about a subject connected with the chosen degree course, stated every year by the academic structure in charge. Failing the test will prevent students from being admitted to any degree course in any Italian university.

The Italian language test for the academic year 2017/2018 is on September 1, 2017.