PhD program in Management Engineering and Real Estate Economics
The PhD Program Management Engineering and Real Estate Economics merges two specializations.
The Management Engineering specialization derives from the doctoral program in Industrial Innovation Sciences, which was established in 1983. Until 1996, it was the only doctoral program in Italy in Management Engineering field. This specialization focuses on research topics related to operations & supply chain management, quality management, service management, management of new product development, project management, technology management, innovation management and economics, mass customization, complexity management, organization theory, innovation strategy, risk management, development and application of statistical tools for engineering management.
The Real Estate Economics specialization derives from the doctoral program in Real Estate Appraisal and Land Economics, which was established in 1987. This specialization focuses on research topics related to valuation theory and methodology, valuation and valorization of urban real estate, valuation and management of historical architectonic goods, land economics, and valuation and management of environmental goods.
Since the beginning, both specializations have given great importance to the plurality of perspectives on managerial phenomena, to the applicability and practical relevance of results, and to methodological rigor. Both specializations maintain close connections with the peculiarities of the various fields of engineering and architecture. Both specializations are a reference point in their communities due to the long history and established collaborations in Italy and abroad.
The present PhD program addresses students interested in establishing tight connections with both companies and universities and research centers at both the national and international level.
This present PhD program aims at training both academic researchers and experts capable of holding managerial or consulting positions with significant responsibility in the manufacturing and service sector. The PhD Program trains professional figures who can rapidly find high-level job opportunities also outside academia. Since 1983, roughly 50% of the PhDs are employed in Italian and foreign universities, 50% work outside academia in companies, consulting, freelance, research centers or other institutions, both in Italy and abroad.
- to design and position innovative and complex researches (of both theoretical and application-oriented type)
- to select and apply different methodologies (of both qualitative and quantitative type) according to the research objectives
- to effectively present research results to different types of audience to adapt or develop models and methods
- team-working on complex and uncertain topics (both in academia and in companies, both in Italy and abroad)
- to work well in different cultural environments
- public speaking (both in Italian and in English)
- networking (at both the interpersonal and inter-organizational level)
Professional and application-oriented competences
- multi-tasking and multi-project management
- management of long-term and high-uncertainty projects
- to detect weak signals of ongoing innovative trends
- creative problem-solving (at both the individual and group level)
- multi-dimensional critical analysis of organizational situations (and of their contexts)
- to organize and manage complex and dynamic systems
- to work within the innovation and research system (at both the national and international level)
The educational program covers three years and includes both compulsory and elective activities carried out within universities, companies or research centers at both the national and international level.
- Courses and laboratories coordinated by the PhD’s Faculty and held by the PhD’s Faculty or other teachers.
- Courses and lectures, mostly regarding methodological issues (e.g., statistics), shared with other PhD programs.
- Courses and seminars organized outside Padova University by other university or by other private and public institutions in Italy and abroad.
- Summer schools shared with other national and/or international doctoral schools.
- The PhD student can choose both from among the elective activities included in the Educational Program of the PhD program and other training activities.
- The research activities that the PhD student has to carry out with relation to both his/her dissertation and other research projects or the writing of scientific papers.
- The training and research activities that the PhD student has to carry out outside Italy, including both specific projects in collaboration with international researchers and attendance at conferences and workshops.
An Individualised Educational and Research Plan is yearly proposed by each PhD student in accord with his/her supervisor and must be approved by the PhD Faculty.
List of courses
Foundations: 1 – The research system; 2 – Qualitative research; 3 – Quantitative research; 4 – Statistics; 5 – Investment decisions under uncertainty; 6 – Economics of innovation; 7 – Choose, design, write & present PhD research projects & results
Specializations: 8 – Innovation management; 9 – Operations Management; 10 – Knowledge Management; 11 – Strategy for innovation; 12 – Organization; 13 – Mass Customization; 14 – Regional Economics; 15 – Real Estate Appraisal.
Laboratories & summer schools: 16 – Lab on Management & Engineering; 17 – Lab on Real Estate Economics; 18 – Italian Association of Engineering Management Summer School; 19 – Real Estate Economics Summer School
In this section, you can find the list of professors of Padova University that belongs to the PhD faculty of the PhD program in Management Engineering and Real Estate Economics and that can act as a tutor for the new applicants.
Biazzo Stefano, Dept. of Management and Engineering
Bolisani Ettore, Dept. of Management and Engineering
Corain Livio, Dept. of Management and Engineering
D'Alpaos Chiara, Dept. of Civil, Environmental and Architectural Engineering
Danese Pamela, Dept. of Management and Engineering
Filippini Roberto, Dept. of Management and Engineering
Forza Cipriano, Dept. of Management and Engineering
Garengo Patrizia, Dept. of Industrial Engineering
Moretto Michele, Department of Economics and Management
Muffatto Moreno, Dept. of Industrial Engineering
Nosella Anna, Dept. of Management and Engineering
Panizzolo Roberto, Dept. of Management and Engineering
Salmaso Luigi, Dept. of Management and Engineering
Scarso Enrico, Dept. of Management and Engineering
Stellin Giuseppe, Dept. of Civil, Environmental and Architectural Engineering
Trentin Alessio, Dept. of Management and Engineering
Verbano Chiara, Dept. of Management and Engineering
Vinelli Andrea, Dept. of Management and Engineering
In order to be considered in the selection process the applicant should submit his/her CV and a proposal.
The CV must include also the following information:
- High school diploma, undergraduate degree(s) and in case,master degree(s), specifying for each of them: (A) name of the organization providing education and country where the qualification was awarded,(B) year of the qualification,(C) length of the education program,(D) final grade
- List of the exams taken during undergraduate degree(s) and master degree(s)
- Knowledge of languages, in case indicating the certificate(s)awarded
- Work experiences
- Teaching experiences
- Research experiences
- Periods abroad and purpose for each
- Prizes or scholarships awarded on the basis of academic or other achievements
- List of publications (graduation thesis included) with their abstracts included
The research proposal should include:
- Description of the topic that the candidate wants to investigate in his/her research
- Scientific, managerial and personal motivations for that research
- Method for conducting the research.
For further information on the content of PhD program in Management Engineering and Real Estate Appraisal and for enquiries concerning the potential tutor please contact the PhD course director namely prof. Cipriano Forza (firstname.lastname@example.org). While contacting him please provide (a) your generalities, (b) your research interests, (c) your specific questions. Please start your email object with PHD-CHINA-.