City Museums and Exhibitions
Re-opened in 1995, this museum offers a huge array of treasures, to see such as paintings, sculptures, plaster works, sacred paraments, tapestries and goldwork collections.
Piazza del Santo 11
Giotto’s decorations for the world famous Scrovegni Chapel were commissioned in 1303 by Enrico Scrovegni to save the soul of his father, a wealthy money-lender. The frescoes, depicting episodes from the life of Christ, were completed in 1305.
According to experts, Giotto’s work represents the birth of modern painting and culture. For the first time in history, the characters are removed from the canons of Byzantine and medieval art and acquire their own unique features.
Particularly worthy of note are the colours, especially the wonderful lapis lazuli blue, used to represent the sky.
Outside is the Roman Arena, still used as an open-air cinema in the summer, and nearby are the Eremitani City Museums with their collections, which include works by Giorgione, Titian, Veronese, Canova, Tiepolo, and many others.
Near the Museum stands the Eremitani Church, substantially rebuilt after its almost complete destruction by an Allied bomb in 1944. In the Ovetari Chapel is one of the first frescoed masterpieces by Andrea Mantegna, who originally came from Padova. What little remains of his beautiful work is the result of long and meticulous restoration, carried out by generations of experts using the most modern techniques.
CAPPELLA DEGLI SCROVEGNI
Bookings required: t 049.2010020
Entrance from Eremitani City Museums
Opening times 9 am – 7 pm
Piazza Eremitani 8
Opening times 9 am – 7 pm
Closed on Mondays
Padova was built along the rivers Brenta and Bacchiglione and is crossed by the Battaglia, Scaricatore and Piovego canals. In its heyday, an extensive network of canals flowed around and across the medieval city, supplying and defending it. Padova’s
waterways were also essential for its industry, which was powered by mills, and for trade, as goods were transported mainly by water. Via Patriarcato leads to the “riviere”, paths flanking the canals, down to La Specola. The da Carrara castle stands where the Bacchiglione divides into two. Ezzelino da Romano, the city’s 13th-century tyrant, who also appears in Dante’s Inferno, built an enormous tower called Torlonga, in order to defend his castle. This tower remained infamous for centuries after the tyrant’s death, due to the terrible acts which were perpetrated in its dungeons. It became the University’s Astronomical Observatory in 1777.
Today, it houses a Museum, where globes, telescopes and measuring instruments are kept in their original locations. The Sala Meridiana (Hall of the Sundial) contains the largest sundial in Italy, constructed in 1779.
From ancient ceramics to 19th-century furniture, china/porcelain, silver, clothing, and fashion accessories. The Bottacin collection celebrates the history of money, from ancient coins to the first cheques and banknotes, and then to today’s money.
Corso Garibaldi 33
This museum recounts 150 years of Paduan and Italian history, from the fall of the Venetian Republic in 1797 to the Proclamation of the Italian Constitution in 1948.
Piano Nobile del Caffè Pedrocchi
Galleria Pedrocchi 11
Photographs, documents and maps regarding World War I military operations, mostly involving the Carso and
river Piave in north-east Italy, are on display here.
Via Altinate 59
Construction of this enormous building - the Palace of Reason, or simply Il Salone (Great Hall) - was begun in 1218. Originally conceived as the civic and economic centre of the city, its upper floor was used as a court of law until the fall of the Venetian Republic in 1797.
Almost 100 years after it was built, the three rooms of the upper floor were transformed into a single great hall with a unique keel-shaped roof. The walls were decorated by Giotto with a highly detailed and colourful astrological cycle in three bands of frescoes. At one end stands an immense wooden horse, said to be the model for Donatello’s statue of the condottiere Gattamelata (now outside the Basilica of St. Anthony).
Over the centuries, the magnificent Salone has been damaged by several fires and even a hurricane, but always lovingly restored. Its outer medieval porticoes on both sides of the ground floor now house shops selling all kinds of meat, cheese, fish, and other foodstuffs.
It is now used for exhibitions and events.
Entrance from “Scala delle Erbe”
Piazza delle Erbe; disabled entrance in
Palazzo Moroni, Via del Municipio 1
Winter opening times 9 am – 6 pm
Summer opening times 9 am – 7 pm
closed on Monday
This space is devoted to temporary exhibitions.
Piazza del Santo 12